How it Began
Currey Insurance was founded in 1953 and remains a family owned and operated business offering a wide range of financial products and strategies.
With over 38 years in business, Company President Michael Currey, has provided insurance and investment advice to thousands of clients.
Michael earned his life and general insurance licenses in 1976, and began working in the insurance industry with his father Donald. Michael’s brother, Robert, obtained his licenses in 1992 and began working with Michael that same year. In 2006, Michael’s son, Shane, one of the youngest people in Canada to receive their Life License, joined the Company and offers financial planning services to professionals and families.
Michael is also the majority shareholder of D.S. Currey and Son Insurance Brokers Ltd., offering Property and Casualty Insurance services in Ottawa since 1953. Donald Currey, founder of D.S. Currey and Son Insurance Brokers Ltd., worked in the Insurance industry for almost fifty years before retiring. Michael’s sister, Sandra, has over 30 years experience working for and managing D.S. Currey & Son Insurance Brokers Ltd.
For all of your insurance and investment needs let the Currey Insurance family help you achieve your financial goals, and provide you and your family with peace of mind.
Explore Our History
1953Currey Insurance is FoundedDonald Currey Founded D.S Currey and Son’s Insurance Brokerage
1976The next generationDonald’s oldest son Michael earned his life and general insurance licenses and joined the Company.
1982Female leadershipMichael’s sister Sandra began working for and managing D.S Currey and sons insurance Brokers LTD.
1992Continued growthMichael’s brother Robert obtained his license and joined the family business.
20063rd generationMichael’s son Shane was one of the youngest people in Canada to receive their license and immediately joined the Company
2016Big milestoneMichael’s 40th anniversary as a Financial Advisor
PresentOngoing growthOur team has now grown to 20 people servicing clients in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, and Newfoundland and Labrador
Book a Consultation
We offer a wide variety of services and our team will be happy to walk you through all plans.
Why People Work with Us
- They are caught up in their daily lives, raising families, serving their customers, and have no time to properly look after their personal planning.
- They don’t have a partnership agreement or have an outdated or improperly worded one. It may not be properly funded using life insurance or the funding is inadequate in the event of death or disability.
- They don’t have a proper succession plan, especially in the event they were to get sick or pass away prematurely.
- They are unprepared and surprised to lean about their ultimate tax liabilities.
- They don’t have wills, an improperly drafted will, or an out of date or invalid will.
Terminable Taxes Payable
- Over 50% of all retirement savings will be paid in taxes upon the death of both spouses. $500,000 per every $1,000,000 of retirement savings.
- Approximately 45% of a Holding or Operating company assets will be paid in taxes upon death. This equates to up to $450,000 of taxes payable on every $1,000,000 of corporate holdings.
- Approximately 26% of accumulated capital gains from any investments (liquid or illiquid), will be paid as tax on death. This includes real estate holdings outside of the primary residence.
The good news is that all of this tax can be reduced to zero with
proper planning. Talk to us about our expertise in problem solving and assisting you on your estate and risk planning.